Tuesday, July 21, 2009

I'm off to family reunions in Vermont and New Hampshire, and will be taking my first extended break from my blog this week. My vacation reading consists of David Liss's The Whiskey Rebels, historical fiction about a famous 1794 political insurrection in the infant United States, prompted by the financial shenanigans of unscrupulous bankers who speculated ruinously in the infant American economy (takes a real stretch of imagination to get your mind around that one, I know). On a whim at least partially sparked by the impish charm of its cover, I picked up the newly published Something Missing, a first novel by Matthew Dicks, about a house burglar afflicted by the twin burdens of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder and a conscience. Maybe I'll have something to say about one or both when I get back.

If you happen to drop by in my absence, please catch up on the newly launched Maria Chronicles (below) or have a look at my piece in the lastest issue of Common-Place. I'll resume with Maria next week. Thanks for paying a visit. --JC